Saturday, August 20, 2011

Croissants and Flashy Fabric

Dearest Claudette,

Is it getting a little crowded in your Mexican casa? Someone said three new girls came to live with you though I don't know if you've met them all quite yet. Care to share pictures next time you post? One was living here and, well, just tell her that the cats miss her.

So last weekend one of our guardians caught the quilting fever. Seems she used to quilt back in "the old days" (i.e. long before I arrived on the scene) and one of her online buddies made an adorable doll quilt that made its' way here so she's got it in her head that she's going to start quilting again. She didn't have all the supplies, just lots of fabric. She hasn't touched a sewing machine in ten years and she's known to start a project and then move on to something else before she's halfway done, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt this time.

I begged to be taken along on Sunday. The littlest guardian left the house without breakfast so we stopped at a bagel shop for breakfast sandwiches and coffee, first. They had coffee, I had juice.

Here I am looking at the wide range of bagel selections:

I couldn't do a bagel. Too chewy. So I went with an old hometown favorite and ordered a croissant sandwich with eggs and ham.

I topped it off with orange juice and conversation.


One of the girls ordered a Greek sandwich. I'm getting that one next time. I got to try it. Yummy! Feta cheese, fresh spinach, tomatoes. egg and grilled onions on a bagel or croissant (we chose a croissant, bien sûr). After a leisurely meal, petit dejeuner, we walked next door to the fabric store. One of the guardians (she's eight) prefers sparkly fabric and decided to shop for a dress for school. I thought it was like dressing for the opera while sitting in a third grade classroom, but she prefers to be overdressed for any occasion.

Here's an example of the fabric she was looking at:

She wanted something that looked like a sleeveless prom dress with a lace jacket (studded with rhinestones) and matching tulle peeking out under the skirt. The grandma kept questioning her choices. "For school? Are you sure?"

Yes, they picked up some quilting supplies. As for the third grade prom dress for daily school wear, they left with a pattern but no fabric. That's for another day.

We miss you, Claudette. School starts soon and we'll be busy with our studies, but one of us will update again soon.

Love,

Lucie

4 comments:

  1. I hope you'll post pictures of the quilts as you make them! Best wishes for a new school year!
    xoxo,
    Summer and Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...croissant looks delicious!
    I hope the quilting goes well, and I'd love to see photos once they are finished.
    Good luck with school! My first day is tomorrow, and I'm a little nervous...
    Bises,
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! Great job choosing the fabric, and we hope the quilting goes well!

    Good luck with school! :-)

    Love,
    Kaya

    ReplyDelete